It’s garlic harvest season for my sisters and I. We are 5 city women who are on an exploration of growing garlic on our 110 acre organic family farm.
Our first harvest from the garlic plant are scapes, the flower bud. We pick the scapes to encourage growth in the garlic bulb. Scapes are delicious to eat.
Here is a recipe I made this week. I served it as an appetizer at a dinner party last night. I made hummus and served it with the chutney over warmed naan. Everyone loved it. Then this morning I used it on top of my breakfast hash (scrambled eggs, ground turkey, sauteed onions, and goat cheese). Delish!
It’s a short season for garlic scapes. Keep your eyes open at farmers markets and grocery stores.
Garlic Scape Chutney
- 3/4 cup chopped garlic scapes, tops removed (or sub Italian parsley or cilantro packed w/ 2 cloves garlic)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint packed
- 1/2 cup roasted or smoked almonds
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 jalapeño or Serrano pepper- for a little kick (optional)
- 1 T lime juice 1/3 C olive oil
Place all the chutney ingredients in a food processor and pulse until uniformly granular.